Chocolate pills, big country walks and sorry Dad!

DSC08722

Chocolate pills! Best present form my sister in law!

I will go to great lengths to get my kids walking. I need to see new scenery and countryside.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to my Dad for moaning like anything as a kid during so many glorious family walks.

Our New Year’s Day…

So much cajouling and so much persuading, and much medicating with chocolate, but we made it to the top of Gotham Hill. Yep there is a Gotham near Nottingham. But it’s not pronounced as in Batman. But it does have a great story. In the 13th century King John decided to build a hunting lodge in the Nottinghamshire village. The men of the village were not pleased as it would mean giving up a considerable part of their land. After considering all their options, they decided the most effective one was to feign madness.

It worked!

The Merry Tales of the Mad Men of Gotham was published in 1540 and tells of their antics.

We parked near this rather merry lamppost which brings the tales to life!

DSC08719

We made our way from the Royal British Legion car park down a track, L grumbling loads already.

DSC08721

We started some not very merry hill climbing which involved me and Mr A having to go back and convince L to move and waded through some really sloppy mud. We rushed out without checking what footwear they had on, so G’s brand new white trainers took a beating.

DSC08723

But by the time they reached the top, the wind was wild and they were wailing to go home. We nearly turned back, but suddenly Mr A had them skipping through the bracing wind and I was admiring the views.

DSC08726 DSC08731

We even found a well placed bench and they stopped to recover! Apparently the wood is full of Christmas decorations, but it was so muddy and even with wellies it looked like it would end in someone knee deep in mud.

DSC08729

This is me smiling because we are finally making progress, seeing nice views and not listening to whinging.

DSC08727

We even met a horse, which cheered grumpy L up!

DSC08733

How do you get your kids walking? Here’s to more cheerful ones in 2015 – they aren’t always this bad honest! Done any nice ones recently?

Passionate about family travel and adventures?
Sign up for a gentle nudge when new adventures come along
100% Privacy. I will treasure your email, no spam.

• Reply otilia

it’s really cold here now – 13 two days ago. So for now we are spending quite a lot of time indoors. Cant wait for spring to go out walking. I do miss our english walks though…and through your beautiful pictures i miss it even more!

09/01/2015 at 9:22 pm

Blimey! So chilly.

10/01/2015 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Mammasaurus

Argh it’s so hard when they aren’t enjoying it isn’t it – glad to see they came round in the end though! Ozzy has days where he would rather stay in and play on his kindle but those are the times I really put my foot down and get him out there!
    A thermos of hot choccy is great motivation and at his age of 5 so is finding anywhere with a big slope to run down!
    Here’s to lots more walks 🙂 x

09/01/2015 at 9:50 pm

Other way round here, L is the home bird. Ooh yes, hot choc next time too I think!

10/01/2015 at 3:03 pm
  • Reply Penny Carr

I think kids just have to be in the right mood to walk if you know what I mean. Funnily nursery took my son out on a walk this afternoon and he literally walked miles, yet 20 paces after leaving school this morning he insisted on going in the pushchair!

09/01/2015 at 11:02 pm

Def a mood thing isn’t it, and how you sell it to them. Sometimes cajoling just seems like hard work but making it sound like an adventure or a quest always works.

10/01/2015 at 3:04 pm
  • Reply MummyNeverSleeps

Oh I need to start doing more of this. I think I’m actually a lot worse than my son when it comes to not wanting to go on adventures! Where do I get chocolate pills from, that might get me moving! Maybe scavenger hunt lists to complete could motivate them?

10/01/2015 at 3:34 am

I like that idea, I have to write a list of ideas for emergencies.

10/01/2015 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply Kate Takes 5

Ha – sounds very familiar indeed! We really must get our guys together – they would love it. And glad to hear that despite moaning about it as a child you have come to love walking – that’s all the incentive I need to close my ears to the ‘I don’t want to go \ I hate walking’ whining 🙂

10/01/2015 at 11:06 am

Oh yes, I feel very guilty all the time about all the moaning!

10/01/2015 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply cassfrugalfamily

Unless there are muddy puddles and wellies involved, my two need bribing to even walk to the shops!

10/01/2015 at 11:31 am

Yep wellies are a very good thing 🙂

10/01/2015 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply Mum of One

Ha I remember being that whining kid being DRAGGED out by may parents for countryside walks. Love them now too!

11/01/2015 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Clare

We can manage walking on a golf course but any other time Jacob has to scoot. I hoped that owning a dog would get us all out on walks together but no such luck, it’s me out in the cold and dark!

12/01/2015 at 10:54 am