All of it!, Days Out, Dog, Nottingham, Travel, Vlogging

Byronic! Day One in Notts: Newstead Abbey

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 30

They say Lord Byron was mad, bad and dangerous to know. You didn’t spend the last Friday of the holidays with my kids. Something happened to my two over Easter. I blame chocolate. Or maybe it is a 6 and 8yo thing? The Romantic poet Lord Byron is famous the world over as a passionate lover, a political revolutionary and a man who inspired the Greeks to victory over Turkish rule. So hanging out at his pad was exactly what these two needed…

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 1

By the last Friday of the holidays I was using every inch of my exhausted positive parenting capacities to keep them from, how can I put it? Killing each other. Luckily Experience Nottingham set us up with a weekend finale to the holidays to remember.

Newstead Abbey, was the perfect place to let off steam, stage a revolution, indulge in a spot of wild rebellion, disgrace yourself and be quite beastly. My kids stormed ahead, a wild rumpus of restless energy. Within minutes they were wrestling each other on the lawns, like a pair of tigers, fortunately no-one seemed to mind.

The playground was well hidden, behind the abbey and a wall of conifers. Something about the path into the trees must have alerted their radar, because they found it in minutes. They proceeded to argue over the same tyre, when there were four rows of them. One of those days.

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pictures - 1

Quick let me lock my brother out of the playground….

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pictures - 3

Quick take a picture of me Mummy, not him, quick, while he’s locked out!

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pictures - 2

Hmmm, now how do I get out of here and plot my revenge?

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pictures - 4

After rescuing G (it wasn’t really locked, but he was convinced it was for some reason) we explored the walled gardens. While they were busy sticking each other’s their heads in ponds and flower beds, I was able to take a minute, (but no more), to appreciate the stunning gardens.

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 4

There is a fabulously romantic, yet ruined feel to the whole place. Byron was one of the Romantic poets, yet once described as ‘Mad, bad and dangerous to know.’ The Abbey passed down generations of Byron’s family, feuds led one member to destroy parts and masses of deer. Byron, himself riddled with debts and barely out of his teens, inherited a home already decaying.

THROUGH thy battlements, Newstead, the hollow winds whistle;
Thou, the hall of my fathers, art gone to decay;
In thy once smiling garden the hemlock and thistle
Have choked up the rose which late bloomed in the way.

On Leaving Newstead Abbey, Lord Byron

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 3

The moment the day really started to turn for us, was here

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 5

Something about the twists and turns, little caves, stepping stones, water falls, simple sculptures, blossom and gentle ripples of colour, seemed to calm everyone right down.

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pictures - 6 Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pictures - 5       Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 8 Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 7

We sat in a pagoda and had a chat, and then this little cherub popped up from nowhere and asked to be photographed with the flowers.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 06

L was calmed by the swans, although they made the most bizarre noises at Max the dog. Probably a good time to say that dogs are allowed in the grounds as long as they are on leads.

Newstead Abbey Nottinghamshire pics - 6

We decided we were probably overdue food, so went to the courtyard cafe, the kids enjoyed sandwich boxes and I had a very generously filled baguette and a cup of tea. Perhaps we had gone too long without food, as the day became even calmer still.

I loved this archway, while we were there a gorgeous flame haired girl was having photos taken in a white tunic, a truly gothic shot, you will have to imagine her I am afraid, as I was too shy to ask her for a picture too.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 29

And there was time to take in the Abbey. It wasn’t open on weekdays when we visited, but the outside is pretty amazing in itself.Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 30

I have not seen Newstead myself but I must inform you that almost every Person I meet informs me of the shameful state it is in, all the county talks of it and says its is quite a disgrace for any Person in the character of a Gentleman to keep a place in such a Beastly state (that was the expression that was used). The new windows in the long dining room have disappeared so I am told but all that must be looked after before his Lordship leaves the place.

Byron’s Mother, in a letter.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 35

By the end of our visit these two were good friends again, and had even decided to be a team – hence the Ts below.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 37

I was feeling a bit like this lady, worn thin. But I loved Newstead and I will definitely return, maybe even on my own, to take pictures at my leisure of the decaying gothic romanticism. Although it is absolutely, as I think I have shown, a truly great place to explore as a family.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 38

We were ready for tea, and to meet Mr A…also slightly worn by a week at work.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 40

Our Sherwood Hideaway luxury lodge and hot tub, was calling, only 15 minutes drive away.

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 51

Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire - 50

But that’s another story…

I’ll leave you with the video, I think it captures our day beautifully. In fact, considering I was in charge of a dog and two byronic kids, I think it’s pretty amazing. You can read all about the next stop on our journey through Notts, Sherwood Hideaway.

For more information on Newstead Abbey

For information on things to do, places to stay in Nottingham, visit Experience Nottinghamshire

Find out about Sherwood Hideaway luxury lodges here.

• Reply Mummy Barrow

What a brilliant post, and it sounds like a superb weekend.

I would have liked to hang out with Byron. He sounds like my kinda guy

30/04/2015 at 10:54 am

Separated at birth!

30/04/2015 at 2:27 pm
  • Reply Chris

Oh this looks just our kind of place – we did the Dylan Thomas thing in Wales, I reckon we could do the Byron thing in Notts! That Japanese garden is gorgeous!
    Chris recently posted…My Container Garden MakeoverMy Profile

30/04/2015 at 11:16 am

We must swap tips – fancy that too!

30/04/2015 at 2:27 pm
  • Reply Emma

What a fantastic place, your pictures make it look so inviting! One day I Penny, one day! 🙂 x
    Emma recently posted…FussenMy Profile

30/04/2015 at 11:39 am

Ah yes, do it!

30/04/2015 at 2:28 pm
  • Reply Amanda

Oh I must visit here, I love getting ideas for places to visit, and you have definitely inspired me to add this to my list!
    Amanda recently posted…What to pack for a trip in beautiful Wales #PackForWalesMy Profile

30/04/2015 at 11:40 am

I think it gets overlooked as a Notts place to go – we always head for Rufford, but this is just as good for a family day!

30/04/2015 at 2:28 pm
  • Reply Mari

Wow Penny you certainly show off Newstead Abbey in style, your photography is breath taking. Love hearing about mad bad boy Byron too, that did make me smile.

Added to my list of places to visit when I’m at mums, thank you.
    Mari recently posted…Time Traveller: La Manga Club resort | Costa CalidaMy Profile

30/04/2015 at 4:19 pm

He he, def visit next time you see your Mum!

03/05/2015 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply otilia

Love the Video Penny! I have so much to learn from you! Great place for a getaway
    otilia recently posted…Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show…with Mickey & Friends!My Profile

30/04/2015 at 6:24 pm

Thanks Otilia!

03/05/2015 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply Mum of One

That architecture is just amazing, so beautiful.
    Mum of One recently posted…Children’s Holiday Fashion with MelijoeMy Profile

30/04/2015 at 6:48 pm

Mad isn’t it!

03/05/2015 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply Donna

What a fabulous place (and I love his sunglasses by the way!)
    Donna recently posted…Where I Come FromMy Profile

30/04/2015 at 10:28 pm

Ha ha Donna, I could write a whole post about those shades…

03/05/2015 at 5:20 pm
  • Reply Sarah Ebner

That sounds like a fantastic place to visit. I can’t believe how much there is to do in Notts – we can’t wait to visit in the summer. Love all the pictures too – brilliant.
    Sarah Ebner recently posted…Science and Baseball Bats in Louisville, Kentucky (By Jess)My Profile

30/04/2015 at 11:07 pm

Say hello if you visit – and look out for more ideas in the follow up posts!

03/05/2015 at 5:20 pm

I love the narrative arc your family went through in this post! It’s funny how siblings can begin the day as warring factions, but end as best buddies. And how a bit of food can work miracles! This place looks amazing – we’ll definitely put it on our list for our trip to Nottingham next year. recently posted…Adventures in Wonderland: delicious discomfortMy Profile

01/05/2015 at 9:02 am

Great place to visit Nell, do shout me when you are about!

03/05/2015 at 5:19 pm
  • Reply PSWeekend in Notts: A Sherwood Hideaway - PS

[…] beastly tendencies exploring the Japanese garden and were now the best of friends. Read all about our day at Newstead Abbey if you missed the […]

01/05/2015 at 3:56 pm
  • Reply Boo Roo and Tigger Too

It looks like a wonderful place to visit and explore, I love your video
    Boo Roo and Tigger Too recently posted…The importance of outdoor playMy Profile

02/05/2015 at 11:28 am

Thank you!

03/05/2015 at 5:17 pm
  • Reply Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer

Oh that looks awesome and I know your two – they’re not that bad …. Why do kids always have to go for the same / toy / book / tyre?! #TimeTraveller
    Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer recently posted…Precious.My Profile

03/05/2015 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Anya, they’re lovely really 😉

04/05/2015 at 7:52 am
  • Reply Helen Neale

Wow – some amazing pictures here, Penny. Looks like a wonderfully magical and romantic place, it really does. I lived in Notts and never visited as well, how bad is that?
    Helen Neale recently posted…Food group game: Go Grow GlowMy Profile

05/05/2015 at 6:16 pm
  • Reply PSEating out in Nottingham - George's Fish and Chip Kitchen - PS

[…] is part of a series on Nottingham, which starts here. Featured places […]

07/05/2015 at 11:38 am
  • Reply PSGame City: The National Video Game Arcade, Nottingham - PS

[…] last time, to The National Video Game Arcade. This is part of a series on Nottingham, which starts here if you want to follow our weekend. The National Video Game Arcade is an absolute […]

07/05/2015 at 11:40 am
  • Reply PSFind amazing family arts events in Nottingham - PS

[…] our day out there on my other blog. Gothic Newstead Abbey is the former home of poet Byron and a great place to run wild as we discovered earlier this […]

20/10/2015 at 10:00 am