Best Bits, Travel, Vlogging

A Dad’s Perspective – Learning to Sail at Mark Warner, Levante

Family Holiday at Mark Warner Levante

Our first week of August was spent in Levante, Rhodes with Mark Warner holidays, Mark Warner are renowned for their excellent sport provision, at Levante it is all about the watersports and tennis. So I’ve invited each member of the family to do a run down on what they loved about their Levante experience. The adrenaline and challenge of water sports meant the Alexanders got to holiday in totally different ways, and boy these three went for it.

If like me, you are more of a culture vulture, I will be sharing my tops tips for getting the most out of a Mark Warner holiday in a later post. For foodies – the food is amazing – I’ve also brought back some amazing recipes for Greek feasts and cocktails, which I can’t wait to share over on A Residence. I overcame a little more of my fear of the deep by jumping off a kayak, paddle boarding and scuba diving, so I’ll be sharing my adventure junkie moments too.

But, first up Mr A, who shares his top moments, plus some insights into learning to sail with Mark Warner. The water sports tuition and guidance is really impressive at Levante, the waterfront staff are fabulous. It’s an amazing opportunity to dabble, pick up a new skill, hone your skills or gain a qualification and the resort caters for all abilities.

Being in the midst of developing a boat video game, Mr A decided to do his Royal Yachting Association Level 1 qualification over three mornings, plus an hour’s theory at the pool bar, at the very modest cost of £70. You can also of course benefit from free introductory taster watersports courses from the staff at Mark Warner.

Mr A’s Highlights from Mark Warner Levante

1)      Achieving my level 1 RYA sailing course – 9 hours in the water, most of them on my own in a boat, in bliss.

RYA Level 1 at Mark Warner Levante

2)      Relaxing with the family – it was great to have somewhere that the family was occupied and found time for themselves and well as each other.

DCIM100GOPROG0141131.

3)      The pools – loved the pools, lots of them so you didn’t get bored, we bought lots of floating toys to play with and the kids swapped toys with other kids.

dinghy playing in the pool at Mark Warner Levante

4)      Water skiing – doing this again after 20 years and being able to get up and ski quickly with my little girl was fantastic, though I wonder if I’ll do it again in the next 20 years!

5)      Other people – having other families with kids around the same age was great as they understood the issues and didn’t mind the splashing around (generally).

IMG_0998

6)      Time as a couple.

IMG_0962

7)      The childcare was brilliant, the kids wanted to go, and that gave us time for ourselves.

Mark Warner Levante

8)      Seafront – so much to do here, didn’t get chance to do it all, be we did paddle board and kayak and I did my RYA 1.

Mark Warner Levante Waterfront

Learning to Sail at Mark Warner Levante – My Level 1 RYA course

I didn’t know what to expect from this course but went in with enthusiasm. The teachers put us instantly at ease with their easy going but knowledgeable nature. We were quickly trying to tack in the simulator (aka a boat without a sail on some grass). Once we’d all had a go at that – with applause for each attempt – we were quickly thrust into some actual boats (two in each to start with) and out on the water. I found myself quite at ease with the turning and ducking beneath the boom whilst my sailing partner worried about capsizing. I actually wouldn’t have minded a dip as the sun was beating down on us without pause. We ended the first day without mishap, only a couple of small crashes and headed back to the family.

The second day had us learning about how to decrease speed and sail around the wind in order to be able to go in any direction we wanted. We were all given our own boats this time (with multiple support boats close by in case we got into trouble) and headed out again. I had a very relaxing sail with few issues, I was trying to push myself a little and really see what the boat could do but the wind kept changing direction and was quite light so I didn’t get chance to get into too much trouble.

The third day had us learning more about wind direction, jibing and some theory. We did do some capsizing in shallow waters then headed out on the seas for more fun.

All in all an excellent learning experience for me, the teachers were thorough and extremely helpful. Everyone on the course passed (10 people) and we were presented with our Level 1 certificate later in the week to much fan fare.

IMG_1446

Mr A’s verdict:

Loved the holiday as a whole, I managed to get back into water skiing and learning to sail was an excellent pastime to take up.

Here’s Mr A ‘s best bits…with a great track from the Foo Fighters, check out his water skiing skills as filmed by Miss L from a speeding boat, while I watched through my shaking hands on the beach.

Next Up, Mr G, just finished editing his video to the perfect track for him, and all I can say is: they’ll be a ruckus yeah, regardless of what’s gone before…Name that tune?

We were the guests of Mark Warner and took over their instagram for the week, do check out our top moments there too!

• Reply Donna @ Little Lilypad Co

I have heard so much good stuff about Levante! It isn’t somewhere I would have necessarily considered before but seeing all the #mwmoments shared on Instagram it has made me add it to my holiday destination wishlist.
    Donna @ Little Lilypad Co recently posted…Style a secret shedMy Profile

11/08/2015 at 10:31 am

Me neither, will come into that in my post. But yes, the moments really make it!

14/08/2015 at 8:28 am
  • Reply HPMcQ

i was hugely envious of the instagram feed whilst you were away and now this!!! what are you trying to do to me :) looks ace, i don’t have sea legs at all but i bet Mr HPMcQ would be up for a spot of sailing
    HPMcQ recently posted…camp bestival 2015 – our favourites part 1My Profile

11/08/2015 at 10:44 am

I don’t have sea legs either, but the staff gave me confidence to try a few new things, it’s growing!

14/08/2015 at 8:27 am
  • Reply Boo Roo and Tigger Too

It’s so great to hear about a holiday from someone else’s perspective, we each have different things we enjoyed about a holiday. Mr A sounds like he loved all the time spent in the water and enjoying the range of water activities.
    Boo Roo and Tigger Too recently posted…The Warrener, Thetford {Review}My Profile

11/08/2015 at 10:48 am

He absolutely loved it! Only got dragged round sightseeing once all week 😉 Only joking he loves that stuff too, or so he tells me…

14/08/2015 at 8:27 am
  • Reply Lulastic

Ah, brilliant post. How do you always manage to look so in love – that’s another post for you and Mr A I reckon!
    Lulastic recently posted…5 lessons in rewilding from Camp BestivalMy Profile

11/08/2015 at 12:53 pm

Aw you! Guess we just are 😉

14/08/2015 at 8:26 am
  • Reply Alice Langley

Off to search for Mark Wander holiday prices…..
    Alice Langley recently posted…Summer 2016 USA Road Trip Planning – Part OneMy Profile

11/08/2015 at 1:40 pm

They were less than rumour had me to believe Alice!

14/08/2015 at 8:25 am
  • Reply Sally Blatherwick

I loved reading about this holiday from your husband’s perspective. I’ve also enjoyed looking at the photos you posted, it looked such a fab holiday! We are now seriously considering a Mark Warner holiday next year. Thank you!! Sal x

11/08/2015 at 6:48 pm

Fire any questions at me Sal! Reminds me, I have Mw timetables for your kids age group I took pics of for you!

14/08/2015 at 8:25 am
  • Reply Emma

Oh I do LOVE Levante. We’re hoping to go back next year and do the RYA sailing courses. xx
    Emma recently posted…10 great things to do around Fleet, HampshireMy Profile

11/08/2015 at 7:09 pm

I kind of wish I had now, even though I get seasick. MR A loved it.

14/08/2015 at 8:24 am
  • Reply Emma

Levante sounds brilliant, I had a great time at Corsica and would love to visit another Mark Warner resort.
    Emma recently posted…What to pack for a first walking holiday?My Profile

11/08/2015 at 9:11 pm

Corsica looked pretty Emma and very green, will have to check it out on the website!

14/08/2015 at 8:23 am
  • Reply Michelle Twin Mum

Wow, you look as if you had such a cool time. You are making some amazing memories with your kids, it is brilliant. Mich x
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted…Mich Recommends 5 Great Parenting BooksMy Profile

11/08/2015 at 10:01 pm

Yes, was very proud of them all. Wish I had done more!

14/08/2015 at 8:23 am
  • Reply Andrea

The more I hear about Mark Warner, the more tempted I am to look into going for our Honeymoon next year – the childcare looks amazing!!
    Andrea recently posted…Pistachio and Caramel Biscotti #GBBOBloggers2015My Profile

12/08/2015 at 10:29 pm

Now that would give you some time to honeymoon!

14/08/2015 at 8:22 am
  • Reply PSA 6 year old's Perspective - Mark Warner Levante - PS

[…] you seen Mr A’s favourite moments or read his account of learning to sail with Mark Warner […]

28/08/2015 at 12:23 pm
  • Reply PSMy Views on our Mark Warner Holiday - Levante, Rhodes - PS

[…] out Mr A’s account of learning to sail and Mr G’s favourite moments […]

17/09/2015 at 12:45 pm
  • Reply PSWhat you'll love about Mark Warner Holidays if you are 8 - PS

[…] you are thinking about a Mark Warner holiday you can read all about what Dad, my 6 year old brother and my Mum thought too and check out the Mark Warner […]

05/10/2015 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply What travelling taught me in 2015 - P.S.

[…] growing up and that our family holidays need to keep evolving to meet everyone’s needs.  Sailing, jet skiing windsurfing, kayaking, swimming and paddle boarding were pretty awesome and started a […]

31/12/2015 at 2:55 pm