Les Alexanders faire les courses au supermarché

Les Alexanders faire les courses au supermarché Francais

I will never forget collapsing in a fit of hysterical giggles on a Danish supermarket floor aged 8, with my younger brother, after we found a packet of biscuits called Bums. We had to be dragged out by our embarrassed parents, hyperventilating and with tears rolling down our cheeks.

So when we found ourselves self catering in a mobile home in France, with the amazing folks at Canvas Holidays, taking a trip to the supermarket was very much an excursion not a chore. I must tell you about the site itself of course, which was incredible, I am getting on to that. I thought a supermarket trip would set the flavour nicely and lead me into an epic and informative post on the Canvas site we stayed at La Croix du Vieux Pont aka Berny Riverie.

You will have to make do with quick snaps from my iphone, I’ve learnt from experience in Tanzania and my local supermarket, that photos aren’t always welcomed by staff. Here we all are going off in different directions already, the joy of holiday supermarket shopping is the lack of lists, meal plans or coherent meal ingredients that goes in the trolley. We have at least achieved some of our five a day, by this point.

french supermarket

nectarines

The fruit and veg is always pretty dazzling in France, we loaded up with juicy nectarines, greengages and apricots, but we also had to have a purple cauliflower. I don’t want to know what they do to them to make it this colour, but we had to have one.

french supermarket

We spent considerable time in the biscuit aisle, me looking for biscuits with rude names (mental note to take kids to Scandinavia for this at some point) and the kids tracking down new snack foods to fuel going on the waterslides from dawn till dusk back at camp.

french supermarket

We all pulled faces at the Escargot, the kids were incredulous they were snails in the freezer. We remembered the time Mr A ate frog’s legs on a cruise (the only time I have actually been unable to eat opposite a meat eater as a vegetarian, we were both nearly sick – there are however lots of things I love about French cuisine).

french supermarket

Mr G was fascinated by the sausages hanging up. We kept having to pass them so he could make sure they were real.

french supermarket

While the kids found the sweets, I stocked up the drinks cabinet and raided the cheese aisle. You can’t go to France and not buy Grenadine too. Although my friend tells me Waitrose sell it now, which kind of ruins the charm of the supermarche mission. But cheap wine and plentiful cheese people, get in!

What we ate in France - 2

Brie de Meaux is amazing, Meaux is not far from the camp site and it’s also where my cousin teaches. More on the lovely times we had with family to come too. Comte has a really nice nutty, but mild flavour.

french cheese

Cheese, wine and fresh baguette from the camp site bakery back at our Moda Plus home, after a day of swimming or exploring, was just the most simple and magical pleasure in holiday life.

Moda Plus Canvas Holidays

L even decided to buy and cook quails’ eggs for us all, after enjoying them in the Crown Hotel in Norfolk. Fancy.

What we ate in France - 3

We had some bizarre meals too, like I said, no one really meal planned much, but that’s all the fun of the holiday supermarche!

What we ate in France - 4

It was magical when we woke up to find that L had laid the breakfast out for us all too in our Moda Plus home – croissants, crepes and nectarines. Makes me think we should shop together more now we are home, and rely less on internet shops.

French Breakfast

Do you have a foreign supermarket tale to tell, or a must have product you always buy in a certain country?

Camping La Croix du Vieux Pont

We were guests of Canvas Holidays at Camping La Croix du Vieux Pont, Berny Riviere and would highly recommend Canvas after a magical week stay. The site has a range of camping accommodation from tent places by the lake, to safari tents, mobile homes, moda plus and wooden lodges. The site has 3 lakes, for fishing, watersports and one is a man made beach and swimming lake. There are 3 different swimming pools, two of which are heated and can be indoor or open air depending on the weather. There are restaurants, shops, a supermarket and bakery. The bar area also has bowling and laser quest and there are playgrounds, go karts, table tennis tables, trampolines, pedalos and kayaks to enjoy. Staff provide daily activities for kids and parents are welcome to stay and join in or drop kids off. This is a great base for Paris and Disneyland Paris, both of which are reachable by coach trip, bookable at the site.

We were guests of Canvas for our stay, editorial and opinions remain my own.

• Reply Kerry at Kerry Cooks

Funny – I just got back from France where I bought some of the biscuits in your photo!

I also just bought the same grenadine – from tesco! But on the plus side you don’t have to go to France to get it anymore 🙂

Isn’t the best thing about visiting other countries exploring the supermarkets? I love it!

21/09/2015 at 2:30 pm
  • Reply Jen

We love french supermarkets. The boys loved visiting and kept wanting to go back!

21/09/2015 at 2:36 pm

yep, its a day trip!

23/09/2015 at 4:19 pm
  • Reply Sonia

Liam used to love the live crabs in French supermarkets, that’s about all I can remember from visiting lol I always love walking round looking at all the different stuff though. Love that purple cauli… have not seen one of those before

21/09/2015 at 2:52 pm

Oh yes, remember that from French restaurants as a kid- eek!

23/09/2015 at 4:19 pm
  • Reply JuggleMum, Nadine Hill

Part of the fun of foreign holidays is going round the supermarkets! I love them – trying out all the different things they have. In France they do a particular vanilla yogurt I love that comes in these cute glass jars that make excellent tea light holders when washed out! I ended up bringing a dozen back with me last time I was there!

PS) I wouldn’t cracked up at Bums too! (No pun intended!!!)

21/09/2015 at 7:37 pm

So creative Nadine, I know just the ones you mean. Helen’s Bon Maman jars would be great too I reckon!

23/09/2015 at 4:19 pm
  • Reply Joanne Dewberry

I love all the hanging sausages! This is one of the reasons I go to Lidl! I also have a bottle of Grendine and no idea what to do with it ….. *awaits next blog post!*

21/09/2015 at 8:27 pm

Everyone keeps telling me to get to Lidl – I really must, although not for the sausage, am veggie.

23/09/2015 at 4:18 pm
  • Reply Jaime Oliver

This sounds like a perfect holiday to me! … those purple cauliflowers are amazing and i would have had to have bought one!

I adore fresh baguette, cheese and fresh air 🙂

21/09/2015 at 8:40 pm

Sounds perfect to me!

23/09/2015 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Stephs Two Girls

The food shopping is always one of the holiday highlights for me too! You reminded me of times I’ve been creased up with my little brother too, so thanks for that 🙂

21/09/2015 at 10:49 pm

Best times!

23/09/2015 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I remember going to a French supermarket when I was younger, it was amazing looking around at the food. x

22/09/2015 at 1:00 am
  • Reply Erica Price

We’ve loved visiting French Supermarkets when we have been in France. So much more interestinig than our own.

22/09/2015 at 11:52 am
  • Reply Kara

I haven’t been in a french supermarket since I was at school, but we are going next year so hopefully have some tales to tell then

22/09/2015 at 2:33 pm

Took me back to school trips too!

23/09/2015 at 4:16 pm
  • Reply Rachel In Real Life

I really want to know what that purple cauliflower tasted like! I didn’t know you can get grenadine here now either.

22/09/2015 at 2:35 pm

Hmmm, I skirted over that didn’t I? I don;t think my half hearted holiday cooking did it justice really, a French chef would have done!

23/09/2015 at 4:16 pm
  • Reply gretta @ mumsdotravel

I love this post – those cauliflowers are amazing! We love going food shopping when we’re abroad, it’s always fascinating to see what’s on offer. When we’re in Italy we always buy parmesan (and get it vacuum packed in blocks so that it lasts longer), fresh pasta to cook on the evening that we arrive home and a sprig of dried oregano to last until our next trip.

22/09/2015 at 3:30 pm

I love that idea!

23/09/2015 at 4:15 pm
  • Reply Helen

It’s ridiculous, as we could get it here in the UK every week, but I have to buy strawberry Bonne Maman jam whenever we’re in France. It just wouldn’t be breakfast without it!

23/09/2015 at 10:56 am

Mr A and I once bought boursin to take to the Jardin de Luxembourg for a picnic – we thought we were SO French 😉

23/09/2015 at 4:11 pm
  • Reply Charly Dove

Oh Penny I really a purple cauliflower, you’ve so planted the seed! Sounds like you had a great time and supermarkets abroad are always so much fun however old you are. We have a fleeting visit to France at the weekend, I have to buy cheese! Not sure we’ll find a purple cauliflower though!

24/09/2015 at 7:08 pm
  • Reply Globalmouse

I LOVE supermarkets in other countries….I try to visit them every day we’re away!! We’re off to Denmark soon so am totally going to look out for those biscuits!! 😉

28/09/2015 at 9:38 am
  • Reply Clare aka Emmy's Mummy

What a fantastic experience, I’m yet to take the children abroad yet. One day

29/09/2015 at 11:42 pm
  • Reply BlueBearWood

The supermarkets in France are amazing. Even my girls have huge memories of out trip to France in June and the gorgeous peaches and nectarines that dribbled down their mouths. We get nothing like it over here

29/09/2015 at 11:46 pm
  • Reply PSCanvas Holidays - Berny Riviere, Camping La Croix de Vieux Pont - PS

[…] The bakery was a wonderful thing to have on site, a real highlight for us. We weren’t really expecting much from the restaurants on site, I think we had in our heads we would enjoy self catering or the odd takeaway, but when we arrived they did look great and booked up fast. Sadly the food was disappointing in the main restaurant, Mr A was particularly unimpressed with his lamb shank and my pasta looked the part but didn’t taste it. However, we didn’t try the beachside restaurant for food, which is meant to be impressive – I am vegetarian and the more gourmet options are always a bit limited in France. Still, we enjoyed eating lots of fresh fruit and salads, baguettes and wine and loved our trip to the supermarche! […]

07/10/2015 at 12:34 pm