Lands’ End, but not The End

Lands End Clothing

It was one of those Saturdays where my kids just wouldn’t play ball. Lands’ End put on a wonderful family friendly day for us, lovely food, a roomful of great entertainment for the kids, so that the grown ups could get acquainted with the clothes. My youngest took it as cue to load up on sugar, wrestle another blogger’s child he had been lucky enough to be on a family press trip with this summer, and fully unpack the games room in 5 minutes flat. It was slightly mortifying. Kids in unfamiliar surroundings are unpredictable. I probably wasn’t on best form either, this was the day before my half marathon, and only now it is over and done do I see how stressed I was.

Looking round the head office full of bloggers and kids, I began to realise my kids might have outgrown being taken to blogger events (how did I end up with a 6 and a 9 year old, I swear I started blogging with a baby and a 3yo?), but at Lands’ End we stumbled upon a lovely brand whose clothes and ethos absolutely fit our lifestyle. Once we got outdoors again for a boat ride on Rutland Water, which is exactly what many Lands’ End clothes are designed for, it was plain sailing. We’re very good at authentic, outdoors events. So while Lands’ End may not want us back in their head office in a while – although they are a super family friendly bunch, everyone I spoke to had 4 kids – I do hope we can keep working together.

My Picks at Lands’ End

The kids finally settled in the party room – Mr G collapsed in a post sugar haze in front of a movie, while Miss L had settled on the Wii with E from My Gorgeous Boys – these two were last seen chatting into the night on the beach at Levante – so I snuck off to have a tour of the clothes. Here are my picks from the Women’s Wear collections.

Lands End Women's Wear

The yellow jacket is my absolute favourite. I bought a yellow bag last year and I get so many comments on it. I am trying to be braver about colour and yellow is just one of those colours that makes people smile and feel happy. I love wearing it. This jacket will last and last and keep you incredibly snug and waterproof. The yellow jumper too, it’s so happy.

The great thing about Lands End jeans I discovered, is that when you order them you specify the leg length. I love this idea as finding and buying jeans drives me mad. These grey skinnies were so soft.

I also fell for the shirt dress, again so soft, but stylish too. A couple of staff members were wearing it and it looks great dressed up or down.

The kids’ picks at Lands End

My kids managed to pick out some things they liked too. Spot which are girls and boys? Not so obvious is it? You won’t find pink in our collection, although there are pink clothes at Lands’ End. My daughter won’t wear pink, she is also very aware of when she is being presented with gender stereotypes, but she wants to look cool too. I think Lands End have some great Kids Clothing options for both mine.

Lands End Children's Wear

The top left coat can be scrunched up into a pack away bag, perfect for changeable weather  – I loathe carrying everyone’s heavy coats when the sun break through a crisp Autumn day – ‘stuff it in a rucksack’ sounds perfect for me. There are adult versions too.

L is going to try out a Waterproof Squall jacket, we love the thumb holes, and snow/cold protecting cuffs to keep your wrists warm and the drafts out.These coats have ‘Grow a Long’ sleeves, which extend an extra 3.5cm to allow for growth. The padding is light weight too, she was truly fed up with a very puffy jacket she had last Winter restricting her movement, so I will let you know how we get on with this.

What impressed me about the kids’ T shirts was the designs have themes and keyword labels on the imagery, which makes them interesting and educational. I also liked that the science theme was explored in the girl’s range, with a female astronaut and astronomy designs above.

I came back from the tour to a lovely surprise, a massive cuddle from Mr G who had missed me, and Miss L had drawn a picture of me, with the staff at Lands End, she knows I love a bit of nautical clothing.

IMG_4043

The Rutland Belle

Rutland Water, near Oakham in the East Midlands,  is a fab place for a day out, and the Rutland Belle is a gorgeous boat trip available to pay on the day or for special hire. All of Lands’s End offices round the world are near water, perfect for a day of outlet shopping and time on or by the water!

I can’t wait to share some fab images from the boat trip, watching the sail boats made me feel really sad I had not thrown myself into the sailing like Mr A did, when we went on holiday with Mark Warner in the Summer, I feel like I really started to overcome some fears of the deep on that holiday, and since running my half marathon, I feel ready for a new challenge.

IMG_3773 (1)

IMG_3808 (1)

IMG_3807 (1) IMG_3806 (1) IMG_3780 (1)

We got there in the end, a magical day – afterwards we loved snuggling back at home under the gorgeous chenille throw I found in my goody bag. I might have carb loaded for the half marathon on the cakes Lands End sent us away with too – the kids had had plenty by then 😉

Thanks for having us Lands End, this is not the end, L looks forward to lots more adventures outdoors in her jacket!

Passionate about family travel and adventures?
Sign up for a gentle nudge when new adventures come along
100% Privacy. I will treasure your email, no spam.

• Reply Jen Walshaw (@Mum_TheMadHouse)

I used to get a lot of the boys clothes from Land’s End. I adore the grow along sleeves on the coats. The little things make a lot of sense and show the designers have thought of the kids wearing them

09/10/2015 at 12:40 pm

They really do have some clever touches, reinforced knees sounds good too!

12/10/2015 at 7:14 pm
  • Reply Stephs Two Girls

Aw, I’m sure no-one else thought your children were anything other than delightful 🙂 we love Lands End clothing here too – off to look at those planet tops now! x

11/10/2015 at 10:12 pm

You are lovely Steph- they def can be! Love the astrology theme too.

12/10/2015 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Colette

I would absolutely wear everything you’ve picked out!

11/10/2015 at 11:13 pm

Yay – I might make a fashion blogger yet 😉 They have some great collections, so easy to mix and match stuff I think.

12/10/2015 at 7:12 pm
  • Reply Catherine

I think we’ve all had a day like that! It always feels worse when it’s your own kids. Another fan of Lands’ End here – the kids range is just brilliant for outdoors-y kids like mine and those planet tops are fabulous. Love those boots too 🙂

12/10/2015 at 10:13 am

Yep, I think we might have found a range we love too – it’s cool and works outside!

12/10/2015 at 7:12 pm
  • Reply Laura

Great selections! Loving the kids things x

12/10/2015 at 1:39 pm
  • Reply Erica Price

Some of those tops look a bit different and interesting. Struggle to find interesting boys clothes sometimes.

12/10/2015 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

What some gorgeous picks and a lovely day out – its been forever since I was on a boat. x

12/10/2015 at 5:35 pm
  • Reply Louisa

I’ve just had a look on the website and they do a 34″ inside leg. Hoorah. It could mean an end to ankle swingers for me.

12/10/2015 at 7:00 pm
  • Reply JuggleMum, Nadine Hill

Lovely day out here! Great photos and I adore a dramatic cloud!! x

12/10/2015 at 8:40 pm
  • Reply Babes about Town

Ah funny, happens to the best of us! We were invited to that day too but couldn’t make it, would have been lovely to see you and also to explore the collection as I do like what I’ve seen of Lands’ End clothing range so far. L’s picture of you is worth framing 😉 x

12/10/2015 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply Sonia

Looks like you had a great time, I love Rutland water x

13/10/2015 at 10:17 am
  • Reply Kate Davis

I was so disappointed not to be able to attend this day (I was doing a 5km obstacle course). It was the first time I’d been invited to this type of event and I love Lands End clothes because I have two dresses that are a great shape on me. I also have lots of clothes for B like you I think the tops are interesting and we’ve got her one of the science ones over the summer but her favourite are the skorts so she can do cartwheels.

13/10/2015 at 11:50 am
  • Reply Jaime Oliver

aw so gutted i couldnt make this event as we love Lands End clothing! glad you got some snuggle time too .. even if it was the ned of day x

13/10/2015 at 7:22 pm
  • Reply Kara

Kids do show us up at the worst times don’t they. I love Lands End clothes and the glow in the dark range would appeal to Isaac especially. Glad you enjoyed the boat ride in the end xx

13/10/2015 at 9:18 pm
  • Reply Sonya Cisco

Love Lands End and I love the stripey top – I have a thing for stripes!

14/10/2015 at 11:36 am
  • Reply gretta @ mumsdotravel

These clothes all look great – practical and stylish. Rutland Water sounds like a good place for a family day out.

14/10/2015 at 3:33 pm
  • Reply Fritha Strickland

love the look of those coats, perfect for this time of year x

15/10/2015 at 12:28 pm
  • Reply Anthea

Ooh, these clothes look rather cool and great for going and about. It’s not a brand I’ve heard of before (how did that happen?). the kids jackets sound particularly interesting with all the added ‘extra’ bits

16/10/2015 at 10:36 am
  • Reply Globalmouse

Love the look of their clothes,especially those boots and my kids would go crazy for glow in the dark clothes! Looks like a really great collection (and don’t we all have {many} days which don’t go to plan??!)

18/10/2015 at 9:40 pm
  • Reply oana79

Beautiful clothes, lovely place to visit (and shop, lol)! I really love the day dress you had picked, it is definitely something I would wear!xx

19/10/2015 at 1:21 pm
  • Reply Charly Dove

Sounds like it was a great day in the end Penny and what a lovely picture. It can by quite stressful taking kids to events, time of day makes such a difference with Poppy! I love the adult items you’ve picked especially the yellow coat, boots and stripy top. Gorgeous! The kids clothing is great too, I bet the glow in the dark tops are lots of fun!

26/10/2015 at 12:36 pm