I recently organised my Mr A’s 40th. Forty is a big milestone, at first I was really daunted, but, with a little help from some family and friends and some friendly PR folk, I soon got inspired. In fact I found loads more ideas than I needed, so I thought we would share 40 gifts for him here. I found some unusual online stores, and it’s nearly Christmas after all.
We gave him forty gifts somehow, in the end! Some little, some bigger, some promises, some pledges for days out in his fortieth year written on star shaped gift tags – I will share a mix of ideas here. You can get full product details by clicking on the moodboard.
10 Space Themed Presents
Themes are great, they can really help to bring a birthday together. Mr A has a thing about space, who doesn’t – it is after all endlessly fascinating. So we thought we would go for that, here are 10 that caught our eye, as pictured above!
1. Urban Outfitters Star Wars and…
2. Galaxy Record Tees
3. Skagen Watch, I was thinking Blue Moon here.
4. East of India ‘Love you to the Moon and Back’ picture
5. Illuminated Moon (Science Museum Shop)
6. Daddy Mug Emma Bridgewater
7. Ereuka Home Space Planetarium (Science Museum)
8. Telescope (Science Museum)
9. Star Mug (Science Museum)
10. Planet Paperweight (Science Museum)
5 SuperFUN presents
1. Blue tooth shower speaker The Neutron from Jam Audio, is splash proof and has a built in suction cup. The suction cup will stick the Neutron to any hard, flat surface (like tiles) making it a perfect companion for the shower or tub. This powerful little speaker offers amazing sound quality at an affordable price, a must have for anyone who likes to sing in the shower!
2. Lego Superman Torch – perfect for the caravan keys and a super present for the kids to give him, can be found online and in ToysRus.
Three great gifts from JustMustard.com the home of seriously cool and quirky stationery, homewares and gifts:
3. Ironing Board Cover Has he ever wondered how to iron a shirt properly? This cover is designed to help men iron shirts. Now Mr A doesn’t really wear them enough to need this, but this is a nifty aid for the man who does wear shirts to the office.
4. War on Error – erasers shaped like toy soldiers, or Zombies, make his desk a play zone.
5. Rockstir spoons. Spoons shaped like a guitar, what more could you want for the rock star in your life?
4 Sexy things
You can star in an erotic novel of your choice with U Star Novels. Simply supply some key information, like eye and hair colour, names, and you and your partner can star in your own novel.
5 Gifts that love adventure
Travel was another theme I used, given part of his present was our family holiday to Malta. That isn’t Mr A in the picture below (he was actually dribbling lots more on our flight to Malta). We love adventure and travel as a family. So it made sense to include some travel gifts.
1. A Travel Bag is a great investment, no one ever wants to spend their own money on them, but they soon get tatty. They make great gifts if you pop some aftershave, smellies inside, this Dove one is a great size and has a handy outside pocket too.
2. I loved everything at Miscellaneous Adventures, found via Tictail the Swedish based shopping app – so many beautiful handcaraved things for the adventurous man in your life. I’ve featured the Navigator Pouch for its charm…
3. And the Rucksack Honour patch, but I love it all. I think Mr A would have loved a slingshot too. You can even go for a woodcarving workshop and make something in the woods yourself.
4. We loved the RoamWild travel pillow. We tested this out on holiday to Malta where our flight was delayed by six hours. The main cushion is soft and just the right level of squish-down-able firmness, inside plush fabric. It can also clip around your neck to keep in in place, or clip to your bag when not in use, the grey extra side bits inflate to properly support your neck. There are 5 different configurations of how you can arrange this pillow, meaning everyone can find a way to get a restful journey.
5. The Vain Sound Headphones look so cool and at £75 aren’t out of reach. We found them again, via Tictail, which allows you to access 55,000 boutiques from around the world.
6. Album Cards are a great way to send someone an album for their birthday with a bit more ceremony. Choose an album and the download code comes within a personalised card (present and card bonus!) on the date you choose. So simple and the account is so easy to set up as you can log in via facebook or twitter.
4 Chocolate treats
The Green and Blacks Tasting Collection is a real chocolate indulgence. We enjoyed Mr A’s over a series of evenings on holiday. It even has tasting notes! I had the dark ones with red wine, he had the milk chocolate ones. Perfect.
Terry’s Chocolate Orange – Mr A always puts one in my Christmas stocking, so I couldn’t resist getting there first with the popping candy version!
Raisthorpe Manor’s Sloe Gin is produced using traditional methods and is a brilliant, sophisticated and complex Sloe Gin. The chocolate shot glasses make a great twist.
Tolberone now comes in dark chocolate and fruit and nut, to suit more of the chocolate lovers in your life – we particularly liked the fruit and nut one.
A personalised cheese board from Marble Tree (pictured top collage) could be great for the foodie in your life.
7 Lucky Experiences
1. We made some of our own experience vouchers. The kids wanted to go canoeing at the watersports centre near us and to go as a family to the space centre. It was great to give experiences that keep on giving throughout his 40th year.
2. A romantic night away. His mum said she would babysit, so we are heading to a country hotel for a night.
3. A Holiday. Combining a big birthday with a family holiday and seeing somewhere new is a great way to start a new decade. We chose Malta because our best man lives out there.
4. A party. We debated so many options, hiring a venue, a youth hostel, a cottage. In the end our house made a perfectly great venue for a gathering of friends and family.
5. Top Gear Track Experience gift vouchers for various experiences at the home of the Top Gear TV studio and test track at Dunsfold Park in Surrey.
6. Yorkshire Food Finder is a guided gourmet food trail company, which celebrates the best artisan food and drink producers in Yorkshire
7. The Edinburgh New Town Cookery School, a professional and amateur school which offers Christmas vouchers – the perfect Christmas present for an ultimate foodie
1 Really Sentimental Thing
Make a photo book, I used the Apple service, but Photobox and Blurb offer similar services. I asked friends and family for a message, a memory and any photos they had. I thought I had left it until the last minute, but my theory with this stuff is, the longer you give people the less likely they are to do it. Just set a deadline. You could also pick 40 photos.
I was sent this wrapping paper made out of my instagram too late to wrap gifts for Mr A, but I would have loved to have wrapped the album in a selection of the photos of him I put in the album! It is from Wrap.me.
4 Things you might do anyway, but that can count to the total
Fireworks or sparklers or a piñata (you are never too old!)
A letter or special message in a card
A Birthday lunch voucher
Phew, forty gifts for him, thanks to all those who contributed ideas here and offline!